Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Tuesday Tips

One of the main reasons that I became a nurse was to help my family avoid unnecessary trips to the doctor. Now, I know if one of us truly needs medical care or if we can "wait it out" (my husband's favorite option). Sometimes it is difficult to decide, and if you're not sure then go ahead and see your doctor. However, there are some general guidelines that I follow at my house:

-fever in adults higher than 101.
-vomiting and/or diarrhea for more than 3 days
-sick for more than 7 days
-any infection that is worsening (swelling, redness, pain, puss, fever)

Of course, if you have any symptoms of a medical emergency you need to go to an urgent care center or emergency room right away (please call 911):

-chest pain/heaviness/pressure, especially with single arm numbness/tingling/pain
-sudden and unusually severe pain or headache
-any muscle weakness or fainting
-trouble talking or walking
-uncontrollable bleeding
-difficulty breathing or swelling of the throat
-sudden changes in vision

If you have a question about a specific situation (clearly not an emergency), just ask me and I will be glad to give you my advice (I am not a doctor) about what I would do if I were you.

No comments:

Post a Comment